Tooth decay is one of the most common problems in children aged between 6-19 years old. As a parent, you’d want to provide the best possible care to your child. To ensure this problem doesn’t occur, you should help your child develop a dental care routine and attend proper sessions of dental cleanings near you that can help them maintain good oral health. Let’s take a look at certain child dental care tips that can help you do that:
Establish A Home Routine
As parents, you should know that proper dental care for kids starts at home itself. You should be relatively strict about the daily brushing and flossing routines of your kids. Here are a few tips to inculcate in your kids a good dental regimen:
- Make sure that they implement a regular brushing and flossing schedule after every meal, at least two times daily- before breakfast and post dinner.
- Guide them through the proper technique of brushing and flossing.
- Motivate kids to brush and floss by keeping a chart handy to track their daily brushing and flossing progress. Offer them rewards, such as stickers or prizes after the goals set by you are completed.
Encourage Healthy Eating Habits
It is quite natural that unhealthy eating and drinking habits can cause tooth decay. Here a few child dental care tips regarding how to prevent tooth decay:
- Make sure your child doesn’t fall off to sleep with his bottle of milk or juice because these sugary liquids provide food for bacteria inside the mouth, resulting in tooth decay.
- From the very beginning, do not let your child overeat unhealthy foods such as chocolates, candies, fizzy drinks, and packed juices. Rather, have them limit their intake of such foods
- Encourage your child to eat healthy food items like fruits and vegetables as these foods provide maximum nutrition to the child’s dental health.
Ensure They Use Correct Brushing Technique
Make sure your kids do not brush their teeth aggressively back and forth as it can damage their teeth and gums. Instead, make them aware of the right brushing technique; tilting the bristles toward the gums and gently brushing in little circles, so that your child may receive good oral hygiene.
Ensure Regular Dental Checkups
Regular dental checkups with your family dentist at least twice a year ensures that your child is protected from problems such as plaque, tartar, cavities, and infected gums. During regular dental checkups, our dentist in Edmonton examines your teeth and gums and can ask simple questions regarding daily hygiene practices of your child. In case, your child is at the risk of developing cavities, our dentist might recommend a toothpaste that contain fluoride. It makes the tooth enamel strong and protects against cavities. Establishing routine dental cleanings for your child in their growing phase can also help them get over the inherent fear of visiting our dentist.
Need assistance with your child’s dental health? Consult with our dental professionals who will not just offer you the best services backed by technology and experience, but will also give you the benefit of personalized care and attention.